Sunday, August 21, 2011

Letting go

One of my challenges in life is a tendancy to purchase sale items that are close to but not quite what I wanted.  Perhaps an inherited trait from my very frugal mother, or an issue with my sense of selfworth.  Whatever, the result is usually a purchase that ends up as clutter.

I need to let go of some of these purchases and projects, hopefully to make room for better things in my life.

Yesterday I was looking at unfinished knitting projects, and I realized I have been working on two pale green cardigans.  I did not particularly say to myself "I could get a lot of wear from a pale green cardigan"  or "pale green fits in with my wardrobe, let's add more".  No, the wool was on sale in both cases.  Sweater one is too small and rather rough (purchased on line so no feel test).  I was going to reknit it larger, but why spend the time when it is a duplicate of sweater two?
The pattern of diamonds and crosses is very cool though. 

Sweater two is a nicer wool silk blend purchased at a store closing sale.  Right now it fits better, although I still want to change the back neck line.  Ripping out a couple of inches is better than ripping out an entire body. 


I intend to complete a couple more works in progress before I start anything else.  And I will be more deliberate when choosing my next knittng project.  Pick a colour and style that will work for me, even if I have to pay full price for the materials.

4 comments:

  1. I find it difficult to pay a lot for quality wool too but when I consider how much time and effort goes into knitting a sweater I feel it is worth it to go for the luxe yarn.
    Plus I feel better knowing that it is a quality wool which will last years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don´t knit, but if I did, I agree with Hostess on this one.
    Changing old habits is difficult; old habits die hard, as the song goes, but - in the future, buy the best you can afford. Promised?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soooo guilty of this one too! If it's a bargain, I'll buy and say to myself I'll sort the fitting, wrong colour, cut... issues later. Hmm that usually means tossing it in the back of the closet. I have a very small closet and it's packed to the brim yet every time I am expected to dress in a hurry or for something unplanned I have trouble finding something wearable and rely on a select few pieces that are in constant rotation.
    A few monthsago I have vowed not to repeat this pattern ever again and so far buying full price for certain items has truly paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments everyone! I'll keep you posted if I am successful in planning my next knitting project.

    ReplyDelete