Thursday, October 30, 2014

Polishing

Materfamilias recently described her outfit as 'polished casual'.   Comments from our blogging community indicate that many can relate to that style description.   I'd be happy to describe my style that way myself.  However I wasn't so sure my look was always polished.

Tonight when I got home and looked around I realized that my decorating style could also be described as casual, but again what is missing is the polished part.

I've been discouraged by my surroundings for the last little while for various reasons.  I've visited friends and neighbours recently and they have lovely homes.   Surfaces are clear except for carefully selected items.  Floors of either hardwood or carpet are clean and in good condition.   There is a spacious feel that is lacking in my living quarters.

The truth is that my surroundings are entirely my own responsibility.  I allow the clutter.  I chose to live in a smaller house that is close to my place of work so that I don't spend hours of my day commuting.  I chose to rent out the upstairs and live in half a house so that I'm not spending all my income on my mortgage.  I select the furnishings and bring the stuff into my house, either new or inherited.   I prioritize my animals over the pristine condition of my home.  I have hobbies such as knitting and I like to have the materials, tools and books in my living space rather than in storage in my basement.

All that said, I think that I need to make more of an effort on some polishing.  That includes some curating and removal of unnecessary furniture and clutter as well as just cleaning and organizing.

At the end of a stressful day at work it can seem overwhelming but I am worthy of a clean comfortable home.  It is not impossible; I can make improvements to my living space.  I just need to get on with it and do it instead of plopping in front of the TV!
Okay so I just did the dishes, I don't really need a pat on the back for that!!  But it's a small start in the right direction.

3 comments:

  1. Seems to me you have thought through and set your priorities. That is more than most of us do with our lives. I have haphazardly picked up stuff over the years, and if it works at all, it's pretty much coincidence. Still, comfort is the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These days when I am more neurotic than I used to be, neatness means a lot. I spend too much time making sure the books are lined up according to height lol
    The kitten challenges my tendencies towards neatness with her mini rampages that fling litter and papers etc all over the place. I am hoping the addition of a puppy will settle her down. She will focus all her energy on that interloper and leave my Stuff alone.
    Thank you for the comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, I can so totally relate. I'm doing better, but inevitably photos of my home involve piles of clutter that I wish weren't there.. but yet I can't seem to find a new home for them nor part with them.

    but I am doing better.. the piles are much smaller now than they used to be

    ReplyDelete